What causes hot flashes?Hot flashes are caused by the hormone fluctuations in menopause. They often begin a year or two before woman’s last periods. For most women, hot flashes fade gradually within a few years.
What are hot flashes?If you have hot flashes, you may experience:
- a sudden feeling of warmth over the face, neck and chest
- rapid or irregular heart beat
- cold chills
To prevent hot flashes, avoid some triggers: heat, caffeine, alcohol, spicy food, smoking, tight clothing, stress.
Is hormone replacement therapy safe?Hormone replacement therapy was the most popular way to treat menopausal symptoms. However, it has some dangerous side effects.
A large study conducted by the Women’s Health Initiative of the National Institute of Health showed that women receiving combined hormone therapy with both estrogen and progesterone had an increased risk for breast cancer, heart attack and stroke when compared with women who did not receive hormone therapy.
Estrogen therapy alone is associated with an increased risk of developing cancer of the lining of the uterus in postmenopausal women.
What is the homeopathic treatment for hot flashes?Homeopathic medicines can reduce the frequency and severity of hot flashes and significantly improve women’s quality of life. Homeopathy is a safe and healthy alternative to traditional hormone replacement therapy. Homeopathic medicines stimulate the natural hormone balance without any side effects.
In 2008 a multi-center observational study was published in "Homeopathy" (Volume 97, Issue 1, January 2008) by researchers MF Bordet, MD, et al. I had the pleasure to participate in this study in which 99 physicians from 8 countries took part. It included 438 women with an average age of 55. Homeopathic medicines were prescribed to all patients. This observational study revealed a significant reduction (p greater than 0.001) in the frequency of hot flushes and a significant reduction in the daily discomfort they caused (p less than 0.001). 90 percent of the women reported decreasing or disappearance of their symptoms. These changes took place within 15 days after they started the homeopathic treatment. Lachesis mutus, Belladonna, Sepia, Sulphur and Sanguinaria canadensis were the the most commonly prescribed medicines in the study.
Homeopathic medicines for hot flashesThe most commonly used homeopathic medicines for hot flashes include:
- Amylium nitrosum - intense hot flashes with profuse sweating, anxiety and palpitations; a chilled feeling as the hot flash subsides.
- Belladonna - a sudden sensation of heat accompanied by a flushed, hot, sweaty face. Rapid heart beat.
- Glonoinum - sudden rush of blood to the head, red and hot face with visible throbbing of the blood vessels of the neck.
- Folliculinum - hot flashes with flushing and night sweats; headaches; palpitations.
- Lachesis - very frequent hot flashes with a sensation of heat starting from the chest and rising upward, red blotchy face and neck; palpitations and throbbing headache.
- Sanguinaria canadensis - hot flashes with bright red, burning cheeks and ears. Burning of palms and soles may also be present.
- Sepia - Hot flashes on pale face, starting from abdomen that spread upward to the neck and face with profuse sweating.