Denis Duthie, 65, suddenly went blind when vodka he had been drinking reacted with his diabetes medication.
Mr Duthie, a catering tutor at New Plymouth's Western Institute of Technology, had been celebrating his parents' 50th wedding anniversary in June by having a few vodkas from a bottle his students had given him as a present, The New Zealand Herald reports.
When he walked into a bedroom in his home everything suddenly went black.
"I thought it had got dark and I'd missed out on a bit of time but it was only about half-past-three in the afternoon. I was fumbling around the bedroom for the light switch but ... I'd just gone completely blind," he told the paper.
Mr Duthie was rushed to Taranaki Base Hospital, where doctors thought he might have formaldehyde poisoning, which is associated with ingesting methanol and can be treated by administering ethanol - the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages.
There wasn't enough medical ethanol available in the hospital, so the registrar nipped down to the local bottle shop and picked up a bottle of whisky.
"Johnnie Walker Black Label. It was good whisky, yeah," Mr Duthie said.
They dripped the whisky into his stomach through a tube, and hoped for the best.
"I woke up five days later and I could see as soon as I could open my eyes," Mr Duthie said.
Read more at The New Zealand Herald.
Article courtesy of news.comau