Remember that homeopathy can help you increase the joy and reduce the stress and discomfort of this holiday season. Whether it’s jitters over presenting the perfect meal for your family gathering, anxiety about seeing your overly critical sister in-law, or a headache from having one too many glasses of champagne while celebrating the new year, homeopathy has much to offer. Here are a few of the most common remedies that the holidays find us reaching for:
- Gelsemium - This remedy can help anxiety before an upcoming performance, whether that’s jitters before being in a holiday play or chorus, or nervous trembling in anticipation of hosting a family meal or get-together. It’s especially indicated if you tend to sit and stew, internalizing the anxiety and feeling paralyzed with fear.
- Argentum nitricum - Think of this remedy when the pre-holiday anxiety has you restless, pacing, and craving sweets.
- Cocculus - Consider this remedy for the exhaustion and stress of shopping, staying up late at night, attending many parties, and depriving yourself of sleep. Your mind may feel numb from it all and your head dizzy.
- Nux vomica - This remedy can be useful for everything from heartburn and stomach pain after eating to hangovers and constipation. You may feel especially irritable and sensitive to noise and light.
- Pulsatilla - This remedy is indicated for indigestion or other problems from overindulgence in fatty food, particularly rich and creamy foods. You may feel better in the open air and from gentle motion.
- Coffea - This is especially helpful for children who cannot sleep with the excitement of anticipation.
- Ignatia - Think of this remedy if you feel sadness at the holidays, with sighing, a lump in the throat, and grief over memories that tend to come up.