For some, heartburn is experienced only occasionally, but others suffer from it all too often. If you suffer from heartburn or acid reflux regularly, then it’s probably time to focus on prevention by keeping a food log, identifying your heartburn triggers, and reducing the appearance of these triggers in your diet, if not avoiding them all together. Luckily, homeopathy offers a selection of remedies for the treatment of heartburn and acute acid reflux symptoms:
- Nux vomica: One of the primary remedies for digestive complaints is Nux vomica. The individual may complain of stomach pains of all types including burning, bloating, aching, constipation, nausea, belching, and the feeling of stomach digest and acid backing up into the throat. One characteristic of the sufferer which helps determine this remedy, is a brusque temperament—similar to that of the overworked, high-powered businessman/woman who is very intense. The sufferer may be bossy and easy to anger and often eats and drinks alcohol in excess. This individual desires coffee, spicy food, fatty foods, and other stimulants. The person in need of Nux vomica is inclined to overdo everything—and all these overabundances contribute to heart burn and acid reflux
- Carbo vegetabilis: The individual needing Carbo vegetabilis has heartburn characterized by belching, bloating, heaviness in the stomach and chest and distress from eating simple, plain foods. Bitter, sour, rancid burping, along with nausea and a very bloated abdomen are typical; burping gives temporary relief. Individuals in need of Carbo vegetabilis feel worse after rich, high-fat food and crave fresh air. Feeling physically exhausted and mentally sluggish are also common, but lying down makes the indigestion worse. Hands and feet will likely be cold.
- Arsenicum album: The individual in need of Arsenicum album may complain of burning pains felt in the stomach and food backing up into the esophagus, accompanied by burning pains all the way up to the throat. There may be severe, watery, burning, yellow diarrhea. Many of the symptoms will subside while drinking hot drinks like tea or by applying heat, such as through use of a heating pad. Sufferers needed Arsenicum album will be thirsty for frequent sips of cold water and their mental state may be anxious, restless, and fearful of being left alone.
- Phosphorus: The individual needing Phosphorus for heartburn will complain about burning pains felt in the abdomen, bloating, and a feeling of fullness accompanied by great thirst for icy cold drinks—which are vomited back up shortly after becoming warm in the stomach. Belching and vomiting of undigested food are also characteristic of the person needing Phosphorus. The person is mild-mannered and seeks company and affection.
- Pulsatilla: The person in need of Pulsatilla complains that their stomach feels empty or that there is a sensation of a hole being burned in their stomach. There is often gurgling and rumbling, as well as flatulence. The heartburn comes on at different times of the day and after eating various kinds of foods (especially rich, greasy ones). Fresh air helps. The sufferer's temperament is sweet, gentle, whiny and tearful. He or she is afraid of being alone and desires sympathy. Individuals may have cravings for ice cream, fatty foods, and pastries, which make them feel worse and aggravate the reflux.